Today’s guest is Mickey Brueckner, founder and CEO at the Annex Sports Performance Center. Born and raised in New Jersey, the father of three had always enjoyed sports and had a particular passion for training, which led to his founding the Annex Sports Performance Center in Chatham, NJ in 2006. In the span of thirteen years, the center has grown from a basement gym to an all-encompassing fourteen thousand square foot facility, and has also opened a second location. The Annex has been home to thousands of amateur and professional athletes, as well as general fitness clients.
Mickey attributes a lot of his early success and the momentum that followed to simply focusing on producing quality athletes, rather than spending heavily on marketing. He believes that, in professional sports, there is no better promotion for you as a trainer than having those you coach dominate in the field. Says Mickey: “We’re in an age where a lot of people are so focused on marketing and paying to get people in front of them. But I think not enough coaches work on delivering. When it comes to working with athletes, the proof is what’s on the field. If, over time, you continually put quality athletes out on the field, people start to talk.”
Listen in as Mickey shares the ins and outs of operating the Annex, training overhead athletes, training student-athletes, and the importance of consistency and sticking to the basics, both as a business owner and as a coach.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [11:49] Mickey’s keys to long-term success in opening a gym catered to athletes
- [22:00] The truth about those “lucky” successful entrepreneurs
- [27:33] Mickey’s approach to training overhead athletes
- [39:38] Training student-athletes
- [49:46] What sets top athletes apart from everybody else
Reach Out to Mickey Brueckner at:
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.