Dr. Mike T. Nelson, heavy metal concert connoisseur, joins the show today to talk about metabolic flexibility, physiologic flexibility, metcons, mitochondria, aerobic capacity and much more. Dr. Mike T. Nelson has spent 18 years of his life learning how the human body works, specifically focusing on how to properly condition it to burn fat and become stronger, more flexible, and healthier. He has a Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology, a BA in Natural Science, and an MS in Biomechanics. He’s also an adjunct professor and a member of the American College of Sports Medicine.
As a self-proclaimed fellow nerd, it was great having Dr. Mike T. Nelson on the show to take a look under the hood on all thing’s performance physiology. That is after we talked about how he was always picked last during recess.
We start off diving into metabolic flexibility and touch on the big principles regarding utilizing carbs vs. fat for energy. From there we transition to a newer topic Dr. Mike T has been spending time with, which is the concept of physiologic flexibility and that sends us down some fun rabbit holes talking about insults, reserve capacity, and adjustment rates. We also spend a fair amount of time talking about aerobic energy system development and break down where we think metcons fit into that scheme. Lastly, we turn our attention to the NIRS (near-infrared spectroscopy) and give our two cents on how we see it being used right now.
Enjoy the episode and subscribe if you learned a thing or two.
1:30 – Dr. Mike T Nelson’s background
8:35 – All things metabolic flexibility
24:30 – Physiologic flexibility
30:00 – Bioenergetic reserve capacity and dealing with insults
35:00 – Kinetics and the importance of adjustment rates
41:00 – What role do metcons play in aerobic development?
46:00 – The NIRS and oxygen talk
60:00 – Better understanding mechanisms
Links and stuff:
· Dr. Mike T. Nelson: https://miketnelson.com/
· Dr. Mike T. Nelson: @drmiketnelson
· Flex Diet Certification: https://edu.flexdiet.com/
· Carrick Course for Human Performance: https://carrickinstitute.com/programs/human-performance-program/
· James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
· TRAIN: https://train.rebel-performance.com/
· Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
· Rebel Performance: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.