Casey Metoyer, assistant athletic performance coach at UCLA, joins the show today to talk about collegiate strength and conditioning, velocity-based training, and load monitoring. As someone who lives in the private world, it’s always great getting to jam with coaches like Casey, who bring such valuable insight with regards to career choices (collegiate vs. private) and science-backed training/coaching practices.
We go pretty deep on both velocity-based training and load monitoring and hear how Casey and the UCLA strength staff are implementing these tools to improve their practice, get their athletes better results, and keep them healthy. For example, we talk about using question mark sets vs. strict set prescriptions, how to modify VBT for different types of athletes, how to calculate load, and where they currently have cut-offs in place for acute to chronic load monitoring.
Overall, I can’t think of a better way to spend an hour. Enjoy!
5:00 – The strength coach journey
10:00 – Private vs. collegiate strength and conditioning
20:00 – What tech Casey has been testing at UCLA
25:00 – Velocity based training (VBT)
32:00 – Different types of athletes and VBT individual velocity profiles
39:00 – Load monitoring
44:00 – Acute to chronic load
48:00 – Casey’s perfect world scenario for training collegiate athletes
60:00 – Casey’s top books worth checking out
Links and stuff:
· Casey Metoyer Instagram: @teammetoyer
· Casey Metoyer Twitter: @MetoyerCasey
· James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
· TRAIN: https://train.rebel-performance.com/
· Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
· Rebel Performance: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.