Vinny Brandstadter, real-life meat gorilla, joins the show today to talk about principals of training, infrasternal angles, the importance of environment, balancing expectations, and narrowing your focus to get the results you want. He obtained a bachelor in Exercise Sport Science at the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse, interned at Peak Performance, and currently works at Hype Gym Union Square in New York City. Vinny is certified through the NSCA, USAW, FRCms, and Bioforce.
We kick things off talking about that awkward transition period of going from school to the real world of training and the biggest challenges this presents. In particular, we hit on the importance of environment and principals as opposed to being married to specific exercises. From there, we jam on what a training session looks like for Vinny’s clients, and how he goes about tweaking individual exercises to match a client’s specific needs. The significant point here is using training as the intervention and not getting so lost that you have your clients on the floor, breathing for the entire session. Lastly, we discuss Vinny’s current training, his methodology changes over the past few years, and his road to a 500 lbs front squat.
Enjoy and hit that subscribe button if you learned a thing or two.
3:30 – Vinny’s Background
9:00 – Peak Performance, Hype Gym, and Vinny’s Early Career
16:00 – Principals and Vinny’s Session layouts for clients
22:30 – Wide/Narrow ISA and the implications on exercise strategies
28:00 – Focusing on the big rocks without getting too lost in the weeds
32:30 – Good Old Fashioned Bro Discussion involving Vinny’s programming
47:30 – Recent changes in Vinny’s mindset on his training schedule
53:00 – Resources Vinny has found valuable
Links and stuff:
• Vinny Brandstadter: @vinvanstrong
• James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
• TRAIN: https://train.rebel-performance.com
• Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com
• Antifragile: https://amzn.to/39gBrHW
• A New Earth: https://amzn.to/2rCoEPc
• Range: https://amzn.to/2tc4j3m
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.