Today’s guest is Doug Kechijian, a private practice physical therapist, former Pararescueman in the U.S. Air Force, and co-founder and CEO of Resilient Performance Systems. His practice “seeks to systematically explore the continuum between acute rehabilitation and athletic performance.” Doug graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Biology at Brown University, and at Columbia University he graduated with a Master’s Degree in Exercise Physiology and, afterwards, a DPT.
We originally intended to focus today’s conversation with Doug on how he practices; but we ended up covering all things knowledge, learning, and competition in the PT journey, as well as the need for apprenticeship to come back again.
We do a deep dive into the many realities we don’t like about the current education model and how we would approach certain things differently. In particular, we talk about how the challenges presented by COVID-19 have fully exposed the modern U.S. university’s many flaws, including burying people in student debt, outdated modes of teaching, measuring performance, the fact that “free” doesn’t actually mean free, and the over-prioritization of theory over practice while undergoing apprenticeship.
Listen in as Doug explains what makes Resilient Performance Systems stand out in the PT industry; flaws in the education system regarding prerequisites, accessibility, tests and exams, and loans; and how apprenticeships in today’s world should have a different approach compared to traditional methods of teaching.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [02:21] An introduction to Doug and Resilient Performance Systems
- [15:41] Problems with today’s universities in the U.S.
- [32:34] A case for a re-hauled apprenticeship model
- [42:25] The ever-mounting student debt crisis and alternatives to the university
- [45:00] Why going straight to college after high school may be a bad idea
- [42:28] A primer on nasal breathing
- [51:24] Nasal breathing versus mouth breathing
- [58:14] Mike and Tommy’s parting advice
Get in touch with Doug:
- Explore Resilient Performance Systems here
- Follow Resilient Performance Systems on Instagram
- Follow Resilient Performance Systems on Facebook
- Follow Doug Kechijian on Twitter
PLUS: Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team.Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.